Friday, February 4, 2011

New Fur on the Block

Ruuuurrrrrrr!

I'm a Furry and my fursona's name is Gallifreyan. You can call me Galli for short.

So McFinnigan poked me to get involved with this here blog. And being more prevalent on the 'Therian' side of Furry-ness I obliged. After all, as Kei said in their blog post, we're not all sexual deviants who run off yiffing in fursuits.

Ever since I was a small child I drew animals, I loved animals and when a new film came out about animals I wanted it! The desire to see them anthropomorphised was huge and compelling and still exists to this day. Werewolf films (not anything like Twilight, ew) came into play as an adult, as did books about the subject as well as a huge array of books with anthropomorphic characters in them.

Until five or six years ago I never knew or realized other people around the globe felt similarly. I felt that this was a quirk that I should be ashamed of, conceal or cover up.

I found Therianism first on my journey to self enlightenment; websites such as Werelist taught me that as well as the admiration of animals some people often feel a kindred spirit with a certain type. Others just felt animalistic in nature. Now in no way were these people saying, "Oh hey, I'm a bear! RAWR! I shit in the woods and eat raw meat!" Nor were they saying they had a physical attraction to animals. They were quite rightly grounded in the human-camp but expressed feelings or traits similar too animals, some believing in reincarnation, some believing that their 'soul' just got mixed up along the way.

In essence what I believe is that I my original soul is something I'm not. I am human and will be until I die, but some of the quirks I have...well, frankly aren't.

The last few weeks have really expanded my view of the Furry fandom. The normal, average people who are Furrys are people in normal jobs with families and children. They are people as average as any who enjoy taking on a different form from time to time. As Kei said and I quote, "They're basically the mascot for the artist, where the artist themselves is the mascot... ".
Thats an awesome saying and view to take on it and pretty straight forward in explaining to people who are curious and open minded about the fandom.

Saying this, I've been 'involved' for years and never knew it, I denied it for long because it seemed taboo and I was scared but the last two weeks has opened my eyes to the acceptance of it, even in my local area. I'm off to my first mini-meet tomorrow to get to know more of my fellow local Furrys, me and my tail will be there proudly.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them via scarletpaws@hotmail.co.uk (MSN or E-mail) and I'll update after the meet :3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine and butterflies only. >:C